Large, bulky items must be scheduled in advance for a special collection.
- Each household is entitled to one free special collection per calendar year for up to twelve (12) items.
Additional special collections cost $25.00 for each additional special collection of up to twelve (12) items.
Service is based on availability. If you are moving, please schedule in advance of your closing date. This service is not available to locations receiving private waste collection service.
Please review Whitby's Special Collections Service Details page before booking.
NOTE: Construction-Renovation Waste is not accepted in this program.
Schedule a Pickup
Residents can schedule their special collection through the online booking service or by telephone:
Online Special Collections Booking Service:
(Make note of the CONFIRMATION NUMBER that will be sent to your email. Re-enter this number in the online form to complete your booking.)
Special collections can also be scheduled by contacting:
Whitby Public Works Department
Hours: Monday to Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
If you must cancel or re-schedule your scheduled pickup, please allow notice of at least two business days.
Household furniture and other items such as: mattress, box spring, couch, table,etc.
Appliances (not including appliances containing CFCs), BBQ (tank and charcoal removed), metal wheel barrow, stove, range hood etc.
Please note: pressurized containers (such as propane tanks) are not accepted in the special collections program. You can take this item to the Regional Waste Management Facility free of charge, or ask at your local gas station.
- Appliances that contain a refrigerant such as fridges, freezers, air conditioners, dehumidifiers, water coolers, etc.
- Fridges and freezer doors should be duct-taped closed. Ensure all food items are removed and do not place additional waste inside.
Please note: A $20 fee applies for CFC removal. Residents must purchase a CFC removal sticker prior to collection from selected Town Facilities.
- Car, light truck and bicycle tires.
Please note: Agricultural or off road vehicle tires are not accepted.
For alternative drop-off locations visit Ontario Used Tire Recycling Program web site or ask at your local automotive garage.
For alternative drop-off locations, visit RecycleYourElectronics.ca.
- Porcelain toilets, bidets, sinks, soap dishes, toilet roll holders and tubs. (NO ENAMEL OR ACRYLIC - Enamel items can be booked as a metal and acrylic items can be booked as a regular bulk item.)
- Residents MUST separate the tank from the bowl. Toilets that have not been detached will not be collected.
- Do not place in cardboard box.
REMINDER - Special Collections are not to be set out until your Scheduled collection date (or no earlier than 8 p.m. the night before your collection).