On This Page
We need your help!
The Town of Whitby has prepared a Whitby Green Standard to encourage sustainable designs in new developments. Have your say! Take a few moments to share your thoughts on the future of sustainable development in Whitby.
The Whitby Green Standard is a toolkit that has been developed to help encourage and enhance sustainable new development across the Town. The Whitby Green Standard will help ensure new developments in the Town are constructed with sustainability in mind and identifies ways in which developers can go above and beyond to exceed these criteria.
This program will help meet the Town’s goal of being a healthy, sustainable, and complete community – with balanced residential and employment growth and high quality of life. The Whitby Green Standard is also a response to the Town’s greenhouse gas reduction target of 80% by the year 2050.
Phase 1 - Background Study
- Stakeholder Session # 1: November 20, 2018
- Background Report: January 2019
- Update to Council: February 2019
Phase 2 - Development Review
- Green Standard Draft 1: May 2019
- Stakeholder Consultation: May 25, 2019
Phase 3 - Education & Awareness
- Green Standard Draft 2: August 2019
- Staff Training Session: Feb 20, 2020
- Staff Review:
- Green Standard Draft 3: March 2020
Phase 4 - Sustainability Guidelines
- Stakeholder Survey: April 15-25, 2020
- Stakeholder Consultation: April 15-24, 2020
- Stakeholder Survey: April 27- May 11, 2020
- Council Orientation: May 11, 2020
- Green Standard Draft 4: May 2020
Phase 5 - Public Consultation
- Public Survey: May 18-June 2, 2020
- Final Draft: June 2020
Phase 6 - Implementation
- Council Approval: June 2020
- Initial Implementation: June 2020
- Incentives Review: 2021
View our Frequently Asked Questions
Questions or comments about this project?
Contact us and a member of our Sustainability Team would be happy to help.