An Official Plan is a statutory document that sets out policy directions for land use planning matters regarding long-term growth and development in a municipality.
The Whitby Official Plan contains policies adopted by Council which define basic goals, objectives, and policies for the coordinated growth and development of the Town. The Official Plan identifies the planned municipal structure, as illustrated on Map 1 (consistent with the Durham Regional Official Plan) and includes the building blocks for municipal land use planning regulations and approvals, such as zoning by-laws, site plan control, and plans of subdivision, in accordance with the Planning Act. The Whitby Official Plan was recently updated through a municipal comprehensive review (Official Plan Amendment 105).
Official Plan Consolidation
The Official Plan below is a consolidation as of July 2018, and is prepared for convenience and reference purposes only. Any Amendments which have received final approval since the 2018 consolidation will also be listed below. Other Amendments may be pending final approval by the Region of Durham or the Local Planning Appeals Tribunal, but will not be listed until they have received final approval. The 2018 consolidation below may also include notes to refer to OPA's that have received final approval, that are listed below. For accurate reference, the original Amendments should be consulted. Please contact the Planning and Development Department for further information.
(Note: Schedule N - Brock Taunton Major Central Area Secondary Plan map has been replaced since 2018, to correct an inadvertent omission of various symbols.)
Official Plan Amendments
The following OPA's have received final approval and are noted in the margins/legends of the 2018 consolidation, but have NOT been incorporated into the 2018 consolidation:
- OPA 108 - Brooklin Community Secondary Plan
- OPA 108 - as approved by Region of Durham (for convenience and reference purposes only)
- please also refer to the Brooklin Study webpage for a copy of OPA 108 as adopted by Whitby Council (By-law 7333-17); as approved by the Region of Durham; and, as modified by LPAT, showing the full extent of amendments, including changes to the parent Official Plan.
- OPA 113 - Northeast corner of Baldwin Street North and Carnwith Drive East (Brooklin Community Secondary Plan)
- OPA 114 - Northeast quadrant of Garden Street and Taunton Road East (Brock Taunton Major Central Area)
- OPA 115 - Southeast corner of Brock Street South and Colborne Street East (Downtown Whitby)
Official Plan Review
On June 15, 2018, OPA 105, regarding the Town's Official Plan Review, was approved by the Local Planning Appeals Tribunal (LPAT; formerly Ontario Municipal Board (OMB)).
For more information regarding the Town's Official Plan Review, please visit the Official Plan Review webpage
Official Plan Amendment Applications
The Town requires a mandatory pre-consultation meeting be held prior to submission of an Official Plan Amendment application. For further information regarding Whitby's Official Plan and proposals to amend the Official Plan, please contact the Planning and Development Department.