The role of the Whitby 55+ Recreation Advisory Committee is to support all social recreational programs and review all related expenditures and revenue generated by these programs and to advise the Town of Whitby on issues relating to the membership of the Town of Whitby 55+ Recreation Services.
- To encourage all adults 55+ to participate in activities of Town of Whitby 55+ Recreation Services leading to a healthy and active lifestyle.
- To provide surroundings for friendly communications among members.
- To promote involvement, commitment, goodwill and participation among groups and individuals within the membership.
The Mayor appoints one designate from council and ten members are elected by the membership each November and approved by council.
Term of Office
The following persons are the current members of the committee of council and their term-of-office ends December 31, 2020:
- Shirley Barnes
- Mike Brown
- Jackie Brown
- Moya Bugelli
- Roger Caughell
- Carol James
- Tom McNown
- Bob Toyama
- Patricia Turrell
- Elsie Myette, Emeritus
- Regional Councillor, Rhonda Mulcahy
- Kim Evans, Supervisor of 55+ Recreation Services
How to become a member of this committee:
- Elections are held every November
- You must be a resident of Whitby
- You must be a member of Whitby 55+ Recreation Services
- Nominate another person or yourself
- Five positions are available each year.
Committee Elections 2020
Are you interested in helping out at events? Do you want to get involved in Whitby Seniors' Activity Centre (WSAC) activities? Whitby 55+ Recreation Services Committee of Council needs YOU!
Nominate yourself. Nomination forms are available at the Whitby Seniors' Activity Centre front desk starting in October.
Nominations Open: October 5, 2020
Nominations Close: October 19, 2020
Meet the Candidates: October 22, 2020 at 2:00 pm - WSAC Dining Room
Voting: November 2 - 8, 2020
Whitby Seniors' Activity Centre, 801 Brock Street South, Whitby
Brooklin Community Centre and Library, 8 Vipond Road, Brooklin
The committee meets on the second Friday of each month at 9:00 a.m. in the Board Room at the Whitby Seniors' Activity Centre at 801 Brock Street South, with the exception of July and August when there are no scheduled meetings.