Business Licences

For reasons of public health, safety and fairness in business practices, the Town licenses certain types of businesses. For a list of the classes of businesses that require a licence to operate in the Town of Whitby.

Business licensing procedures and regulations differ from one municipality to another, so it is imperative to check with By-law Services before opening a business in Whitby.

Business Licensing By-laws:

Business Licensing Application Forms

Lottery Licences

The types of lottery schemes licensed by the Town include bazaars, break open tickets, and raffles. Not all charitable organizations are eligible to conduct lottery events. For further information regarding lottery licence eligibility guidelines, please contact the Office of the Town Clerk.

Are you eligible for a Charitable Gaming Licence?


Break Open


Marriage Licences

Couples wishing to be married in Ontario must complete an application form signed by both individuals getting married. The application along with the appropriate identification and other supporting documents must be submitted in person by one or both parties at the Whitby Municipal Building. You are requested to wait while the licence is being processed.

In an effort to improve our customer service and efficiency in processing your marriage license you may now complete your marriage license application online prior to attending Town Hall. Once your application has been submitted you will receive an email notification with a verification code. Please print the PDF of the licence attached to the confirmation email and ensure both parties sign and date the printed application. You must bring the printed, signed application, verification code and the appropriate identification for both parties to Whitby Town Hall for processing.

Alternatively, if you do not want to apply using the on-line submission form, you may attend Town Hall and complete the marriage license application in person.

Marriage Licence Fee
$130.00 (cash or debit only)

Please visit the Civil Marriage Ceremonies page for more information on civil ceremonies held at the Town of Whitby.

Identification Requirements

To issue a marriage licence, we require TWO forms of original identification for both parties. The primary piece of identification must be either a valid PASSPORT or BIRTH CERTIFICATE. The secondary piece of I.D. may be one of the following:

  • Valid Driver's Licence
  • Canadian citizenship
  • Record of Immigration Landing
  • Valid Passport (if this was not used as the primary piece)
  • Original Birth Certificate (if this was not used as the primary piece)

NOTE: If the primary piece of identification provided is a birth certificate the second piece of identification must contain a photo.

Canadian Divorce

If a previous marriage was dissolved or annulled within Canada, the original or court -certified copy of the Decree Absolute or Certificate of Divorce must be submitted with the marriage licence application. A divorce judgment is not acceptable . Certified copies may be obtained from the Court that originally granted the divorce.

Foreign Divorce

If a previous marriage was dissolved or annulled outside Canada , authorization from the Minister of Government Services must be obtained before a marriage licence may be issued. Information and documentation can be obtained from the Office of the Town Clerk.

Expiry Date

A marriage licence is valid for use anywhere in Ontario for a period of 90 days from the date of issue.

Obtaining your Marriage Certificate after the Ceremony

Marriage Licence Issuing Hours

  • Monday to Friday: 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. (excluding statutory holidays)