Whitby Harbour Day is a summer celebration of Whitby's historic harbour. The event highlights Whitby's harbour facilities including Port Whitby Marina and Whitby Yacht Club and the waterfront trail.
The mandate of the Harbour Day Committee is to plan and operate a safe and enjoyable free event with a focus on water based activities and demonstrations, information displays, including but not limited to the following elements:
- Children's activities
- Information displays
- Live entertainment
- Water Safety and education
Specific responsibilities of the Harbour Day Committee are listed below:
- Work with staff to identify sources of funding, sponsorship and grants to support the operating costs of the event;
- Provide recommendations regarding the creation of marketing and promotional plans;
- Assist in the development of a community engagement plan to secure community-based organizations and volunteers;
- Provide consultation, report findings and make recommendations as required to Council;
- Ensure a safe and secure event by developing an event plan with staff and
- Support the recruitment of ancillary services and volunteers
Committee members are on site during the event and may be required to directly supervise activities and volunteers.
Membership: 1 Member of Council, 6 Citizen Appointments
- Councillor Michael Emm
- Lara Scott (Staff Liaison)
- Keenan Watters (Port Whitby Marina)
- John Berry (Whitby Yacht Club Representative)
- Craig Hastings
- Elsie Myette
- Liam Nichols
The Committee meets on the third Thursday of each month at 2:30 p.m. with additional meetings as required.
Meetings are held at Port Whitby Marina, 301 Watson Street, Whitby.