The Town of Whitby offers civil ceremonies to couples who are looking to have a simple, non-religious marriage ceremony. The service lasts approximately 20 minutes.
Availability and Appointments
Ceremonies are available at the Municipal Building, Council Chambers, 575 Rossland Road East, Whitby, during the hours of 10 am to 3 pm, Tuesday to Friday and are conducted by the Town Clerk or designate. Couples interested in booking a civil marriage ceremony must submit in person a completed Civil Marriage Booking Agreement and the fee of $339 ($300 plus $39 HST) in the form of certified cheque, cash or debit card. The pre-meeting and wedding date will be confirmed upon receipt of payment.
Before the ceremony takes place, couples must consult at a pre-meeting with the officiant at least one week prior to the wedding. The appointment is mandatory and takes place at Town Hall. Couples will need to make sure that they meet all of the requirements for a civil marriage and provide the following at the pre-meeting:
- A valid Province of Ontario marriage licence. Couples are requested to obtain or supply a valid Ontario Marriage Licence at the pre-meeting. The fee for a marriage licence at the Town of Whitby is $130.00.
- The names and addresses of two witnesses (one for each partner) and confirmation that they will be present at the ceremony.
- Identification - couples must present a valid piece of government-issued photo identification for each partner. Parental consent is required for persons who are 16 or 17 years of age.
- Marriage after divorce - if divorced in Canada, the couple must provide the original or court-certified copy of the certificate of divorce, final decree or final judgement. Photocopies are not acceptable.
- Language Interpreter - couples are responsible for bringing a language interpreter, and the cost is borne by the applicants. The interpreter cannot act as one of the witnesses.
- Confirmation of Choice of Vows:
The Town Clerk and/or designate will not formalize the marriage of any person if:
- One or both parties are under physical or mental duress;
- One or both parties fail to meet the age requirements;
- The parties are related as grandparent, parent, child, grandchild, brother or sister;
- One or both parties are currently married;
- One or both parties are mentally ill or under the influence of intoxicating liquor or drugs and incapable of understanding the nature of the marriage contract and the duties, obligations and responsibilities of marriage.
On the Wedding Day
Ceremonies are held in the Council Chambers and friends and family are welcome to attend. There is seating in the Council Chambers for a maximum of 50 guests. Pictures and/or videos may be taken during the ceremony provided there is no disruption of the ceremony.
You can cancel your civil marriage appointment up to one week prior to the ceremony. All cancellations are subject to a non-refundable fee of $56.50 ($50 plus $6.50 HST). Marriage licence fees are non-refundable.
Need more information?
The staff in the Office of the Town Clerk are pleased to assist you and can be contacted by email or by phone at 905.430.4315.