The Town of Whitby offers civil ceremonies to couples who are looking to have a simple, non-religious marriage ceremony. The service lasts approximately 15 minutes.
The Town of Whitby continues to offer marriage ceremony services during the COVID-19 pandemic. In order to support physical distancing, ceremonies will be modified as noted below.
- The Town of Whitby reserves the right to limit the total number of guests in attendance at ceremonies
- Guests attending ceremonies will be required to wear face coverings (with the exception of the couple to be married), complete a health screening questionnaire, and maintain physical distancing from the officiant performing the ceremony
Availability and Appointments
Ceremonies are available at Whitby Town Hall, Council Chambers, 575 Rossland Road East, Whitby, at 9:00 a.m., 11:00 a.m., 1:00 p.m., and 3:00 p.m. on Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays each week and are conducted by the Town Clerk or designate. Appointments are required.
Couples interested in booking a civil marriage ceremony must submit a completed Civil Marriage Booking Agreement and the fee of $339 ($300 plus $39 HST) in the form of certified cheque, cash or debit card. The pre-meeting and wedding date will be confirmed upon receipt of payment. Prior to attending Town Hall, please contact the Office of the Town Clerk at 905.430.4315 to make an appointment to submit the booking agreement and payment. Please be advised that Town Hall is open by appointment only.
At least one week prior to the ceremony, couples must conduct a pre-meeting with the officiant. This pre-meeting is mandatory and will take place over the telephone. Couples will need to make sure that they meet all of the requirements for a civil marriage and provide the following in advance of the pre-meeting:
- A valid Province of Ontario marriage licence. Couples are requested to obtain or supply a valid Ontario Marriage Licence in advance of the pre-meeting at the time of booking a civil marriage ceremony. The fee for a marriage licence at the Town of Whitby is $135.00. Marriage licences will be retained by the Town until the date of the ceremony.
- The names and addresses of two witnesses (one for each partner) and confirmation that they will be present at the ceremony. Witnesses must also be at least 14 years of age.
- Identification - couples must provide a valid piece of government-issued photo identification for each partner. Parental consent is required for persons who are 16 or 17 years of age.
- Marriage after divorce - if divorced in Canada, the couple must provide the original or court-certified copy of the certificate of divorce, final decree or final judgement. Photocopies are not acceptable.
- Language Interpreter - If required, couples are responsible for bringing a language interpreter and the cost shall be borne by the applicants. The interpreter cannot also act as one of the witnesses.
- Confirmation of Choice of Vows:
The Town Clerk and/or designate will not formalize the marriage of any person if:
- One or both parties are under physical or mental duress;
- One or both parties fail to meet the age requirements;
- The parties are related as grandparent, parent, child, grandchild, brother or sister;
- One or both parties are currently married; or,
- One or both parties are mentally ill or under the influence of intoxicating liquor or drugs and incapable of understanding the nature of the marriage contract and the duties, obligations and responsibilities of marriage.
On the Wedding Day
Ceremonies are held in the Council Chambers. Pictures and/or videos may be taken during the ceremony provided there is no disruption of the ceremony.
All scheduled Civil Marriage Ceremonies at Town Hall shall be subject to the following cancellation fees if:
|Prior to Pre-Meeting
||$56.50 ($50 + $6.50 HST)
||$113.00 ($100 + $13 HST)
|Within one (1) week of Ceremony date
Need more information?
The staff in the Office of the Town Clerk are pleased to assist you and can be contacted by email or by phone at 905.430.4315.