In an effort to provide you with resources and keep you informed, please visit COVID-19 Community Resources and Frequently Asked Questions.
Whitby 55+ Recreation Services is dedicated to keeping older adults engaged! If you're 55 years of age or older, consider joining a rich and vibrant social community and explore the endless possibilities of keeping an active, healthy lifestyle.
Whether you're interested in instructional classes, leisure programs, support services, or volunteer opportunities, Whitby 55+ Recreation Services is sure to have something that's just right for you.
On This Page
55+ Virtual Classes
During this time of social isolation some of the Whitby 55+ Recreation Instructors are offering virtual classes. These classes are being offered independently so please contact the instructor directly with any questions or for further information.
Fitness Classes With Cindy via Zoom
HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) - Monday 9 am or 11 am - 40 minutes
HIIT involves quick, cardio and strength bursts followed by short recovery periods. We only use your body weight (squats, planks, lunges, push ups etc). This workout also includes warm up, cool down and stretch. Modifications offered for chair, floor or wall.
CARDIO HIIT - Tuesday 8:30 am - 30 minutes
Includes cardio movements from our HIIT classes as well as simple aerobic moves with range of motion for your muscles and joints. This cardio class will get your heart pumping and get you sparkling.
STRETCH AND SCULPT - Tuesday 9:30 am - 40 minutes
Lower impact and slower paced than the HIIT classes. Entails a full body workout using some resistance equipment that you have at home. Emphasis on proper body alignment to develop strength, endurance and stretching to improve flexibility. Also includes exercises to prevent falls. Suitable for those with Osteoporosis and Arthritis. Class includes light cardio, strength, balance training and stretching. Can do cardio segment seated or standing and some strength exercises are seated too. This class can benefit any level of fitness.
WEIGHT TRAINING -Wednesday 9 am or 11 am - 40 minutes
Get out your dumbbells, soup cans, water bottles etc. Components of this class include joint mobility, balance, strength and end with relaxation. Limited cardio is included.
HIIT with WEIGHTS - Friday 9:30 am - 40 minutes
Class is similar to regular HIIT but you can integrate dumbbells in the strength segment. This workout also includes a warm up, cool down and stretch. Modifications offered.
Modifications always offered for various levels of fitness. For further information and to register, contact Cindy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Classes With Nicole
- Line Dance Beginners - learn some basic steps and simple routines to get you moving
- Line Dance Intermediate - take what you learned in your beginner classes and learn more complex patterns. This class will be faster than the beginner level.
- Line Dance Advanced - Looking for some interesting dance moves that will require some more work. This class explores longer, more complex routines with syncopated rhythms and new patterns. This can be a challenging class
- Zumba Gold - a fun, low impact aerobics class to some enthralling music. Get your groove on and have some fun
- Yoga - a gentle kripalu class for all bodies
Contact Nicole at email@example.com
for further information and to register. Nicole is using Eventbrite for all her registrations. Eventbrite is a secure site with encrypted payment processing available.
Classes With Dawn
- Monday Yoga Flow - 9:00 -10:00 am - NEW! starting on May 11 - Start your week with some breathing and balancing exercises along with stretch and strengthening postures. A great way to kick off the week.
- Monday Latin DanceFit - 2:00 - 3:00 pm - NEW! starting on May 11 - This dance fitness class is based in latin music like salsa, merengue, chacha and throws in other great dance tunes for fun!
- Monday evening Ballroom - 7:00 - 7:55 pm - Basic Ballroom - NEW! starting on May 4 - Ideal for beginners looking to learn partner dance basics. Dances this semester: Waltz and another to be chosen from rumba, jive, merengue, bachata, foxtrot 8:05 - 9:00pm Beyond Beginner Ballroom. Ideal for couples with solid ballroom basics. Dances this semester: Chacha, Bachata
- Tuesday Family DanceFit - 5:00 - 5:50 pm - This is a great multi-generational family-bonding fitness opportunity for anyone 6 years plus wanting to get their groove on to family friendly rhythms. Props: large scarf, soccer ball
- Thursday Zumba®GOLD Party - 10:30 - 11:30 am - All the fun of Zumba® Fitness without the impact and complexity. Sometimes called exercise-in-disguise, Zumba® Fitness leverages interval-style training for quicker results. Designed for everyone: any age; gender; size; fitness level; no dance experience required. Low impact options are demonstrated in each class but feel free to pick it up! Ditch the workout. Join the Party!
- Friday Arthritis DanceFit -1:30 - 2:30 pm - Do you want to increase your range of motion, agility, balance and strength? This class improves your quality of life by decreasing pain, swelling and stiffness with partially-seated exercises. Props: hand weights, 10 inch diameter soft ball
- Daily meditation called Love.at.One that introduces mindfulness, mudras and mantras. This is led on a Skype Video call and can be reached at Dawn Dee on Skype. Email Dawn your Skype name if you wish to be added to the Love.at.one Skype group Call. This is a 5 minute program that runs Monday to Thursday each week.
Contact Dawn at firstname.lastname@example.org
further information and to register. Donations are welcome by e-transfer.
Fitness Classes With Lisa via Zoom
Lisa is teaching virtual classes starting June 18. The Zoom schedule and contact information is available on her website as follows:
Drawing Classes With Chrissie via Zoom
Chrissie is offering a Drawing for Beginners and an Intermediate Drawing Class. Click here for the flyer and description. Limited spots are available. Contact Chrissie at email@example.com to register.
The Town of Whitby is providing these links to you only as a convenience, and the inclusion of any links does not imply endorsement by The Town of Whitby, nor can we be held responsible in any way for the content found on any third-party website.
** New to Zoom? Click here for details on how to use Zoom. **
Whitby Seniors Connection Line
This program is intended to connect Whitby seniors with people who can offer information, support and friendly conversation during this time of physical distancing. To date, Town staff have placed more than 800 calls to Whitby Seniors Activity Centre members. Due to the success of the program, the hotline is now being expanded to all seniors within the community.
Residents can phone 905.668.1424 and leave their name and number to receive a call back.
Seniors' Centre Without Walls Program
"Connecting People With Phone Activities"
Join us for this free telephone program featuring a variety of interesting topics as well as friendly conversation for Whitby residents age 55+. Sponsored by a grant from Ontario Ministry of Seniors, this program operates in conjunction with the Whitby Public Library. It's so easy to join in - no special equipment required - just your telephone!
Simply phone in to the session by following these easy directions:
1. Dial 905.430.4900
2. Listen for the prompt and then press 9 6 9 6 1 6 #
3. You will then hear the moderator for the call
To see the current SCWW flyer with topics, dates and times, please click here.
What participants are saying about Seniors' Centre Without Walls:
"It has been great talking to people on Seniors' Centre Without Walls. Being a blind senior with physical limitations, I really appreciate being able to listen and talk to other about interesting topics.Thank you so much for providing this opportunity during such a restricted time."
Sharon J., Whitby Resident
55+ Recreation Program Locations
55+ recreation programs and services are offered at two conveniently located facilities.
Whitby Seniors' Activity Centre
801 Brock Street South
Brooklin Community Centre and Library
8 Vipond Road