The Town of Whitby has prescribed Property Standards for the maintenance and occupancy of property within the Town of Whitby. All property owners are required to repair and maintain their properties in compliance with the minimum maintenance standards included in the Property Standards By-law and the Property and Boulevard Maintenance By-law.
Property Standards Appeal Committee
The Property Standards Appeal Committee is responsible for considering appeals in accordance with the procedures established under the provisions of the Statutory Powers Procedure Act. The Committee considers appeals to Property Standards Orders issued by Property Standards Officers.
The Committee is authorized by the Building Code Act to do the following:
- Hear appeals filed by appellants;
- Execute all of the powers of a Property Standards Officer; and,
- Confirm, modify, or rescind Property Standards Orders, or extend the time for complying with Property Standards Orders
When an appeal has been received, the Committee shall give notice or direct that notice be given of the hearing to such persons as the Committee considers should receive notice.
Please be advised that the Property Standards Appeal Committee is currently seeking volunteers for the remainder of the 2018-2022 term.
If you are interested in applying to the Property Standards Appeal Committee, please click here to be redirected to the Town's Boards and Committees webpage.
Thank you for your interest.
Membership: 5 Citizen Appointments
- Glen Konorowski
- Olga Marques
- Frank Mielewczyk
- Sean O'Dwyer
Meeting Dates, Agendas and Minutes
A General Guide
The following list provides an overview of the Property Standards regulations in place in the Town:
- Grass and weeds are required to be maintained at a height of less than 15 centimetres
- Properties are required to be maintained free of accumulations of garbage, refuse or debris
- Buildings are to be maintained in a good condition, including the maintenance of roofs, windows, doors and eaves troughs
- Sheds and detached garages are to be maintained in good condition
- Rental properties are to be provided with working plumbing, heating and electrical services
Still have questions?
If you have any questions regarding the Town's Property Standards regulations, please contact By-law Services at 905.430.4345 or by email.
Filing a Complaint
To file a complaint regarding a possible by-law contravention, please contact By-law Services by email or complete the online complaint form below.
All complaints, including emails, must contain the complainant's name, address and phone number. Please note that all personal information about complaints is kept confidential.