On This Page
COVID Business Support
The Town is committed to supporting local businesses through COVID-19. Our goal is to ensure that businesses have the information and support they need to return to operation as quickly as possible, when it is safe to do so.
The Town is supporting Whitby businesses financially during COVID-19 by providing:
- Tax relief supports, including payment deferrals
- A 50% fee reduction fee for mobile sign permits issued until September 30
- No late payment fees for business licence renewals (up to and including June 30)
- Extensions of advertising and sponsorship contracts at Whitby facilities during closures
- Temporary cancellation of payment for leases within Town facilities that are closed
The Town is supporting Whitby businesses operationally during COVID-19 by providing:
- Temporary elimination of payment for parking at all metered on-street locations and municipal parking lots (time limits for parking still apply)
- An increase of curbside garbage bag allowance to six bags
- Flexibility for business to receive deliveries anytime day, anytime through the temporary dismissal of the noise bylaw enforcement provisions related to loading and deliveries for commercial businesses
- Temporary rest stop at Iroquois Park Sports Centre to support truck drivers and keep the supply chain moving
- Suspending all advertising and sponsorship invoicing for while Town facilities are closed
In addition, the Town is continuing:
- To advocate for all our local businesses with both the provincial and federal governments
- To monitor and share important government updates that impact local businesses
Durham Economic Task Force
The Town of Whitby is playing an important role on the new Durham Economic Task Force. This Task Force was created immediately following the declaration by the World Health Organization that the COVID-19 outbreak is a pandemic.
In addition to the Town, the Task Force includes the Durham Region Economic Development Team, Economic Development team members from all municipalities across the Region of Durham, Chambers of Commerce, local Boards of Trade, Business Advisory Centre Durham and BIAs.
The Task Force has been developing a variety of programming ideas and plans to help support business recovery post COVID-19. This includes:
- a #SupportLocal campaign, to drive customers virtually to small businesses that are still operational and offering no-contact delivery/pickup
- webinars and training seminars for small businesses
- a ‘Downtowns of Durham’ website and promotional campaign, to comprehensively drive customers to Durham’s downtown businesses not only virtually, but transitioning it to be a key tool for recovery
- advocacy of local business interests at the provincial and federal level
- a new Local Food Portal to promote local food producers
Reopening Your Business
Eat, Shop and Support Local Businesses
Eat local and support restaurants – see the Downtown Whitby BIA’s list of businesses offering takeout or delivery: whitbybia.org/eat-dine
What's Open Whitby Map
Shopping local in Whitby just got easier with the launch of the new online mapping portal “What’s Open Whitby”.
The portal was developed by the Town in partnership with the Whitby Chamber of Commerce and Downtown Whitby Business Improvement Area (BIA). It’s goal: to help support local businesses of all kinds by encouraging residents to shop and spend their dollars where they live.
Through whitby.ca/whatsopen, a user can quickly search for a local business by category or address to find a variety of options available to them. From restaurants to retail shops to gardening centres, the portal showcases the many businesses that are open in Whitby right now, whether it’s for curbside pick-up, contactless delivery or in-store service.
Get on the Map
Local businesses can add their name and information to the map by completing a quick survey. Questions about the portal can be directed to email@example.com.
View Map Now
Local Contacts and Partners
There are a number of resources available to help local businesses during COVID-19.
National Resources, Support and Toolkits
Let's Hear From You!
Business Community Shoutouts
A number of Whitby businesses have provided innovative and generous support to the community by pivoting their business or donating their efforts.
Here’s a snapshot of some the incredible support we are seeing across our Town:
- Brock Street Brewery and Durham Distillery are now producing hand sanitizer
- OPG XLAB and Whitby Public Library are using 3D printers to produce face shields for healthcare workers
- Shiftlink’s software solutions are helping hospitals manage their shift schedules to ensure our healthcare workers are supported
- SpaceiShare’s new COVID-19 support solution thehomefront.ca is connecting those who want to help with the resources, tools, connections and knowledge they need to understand where they can make a difference and take meaningful action
- Crave Doughnuts has donated over 1,000 handmade doughnuts to frontline workers at local hospitals, grocery stores and paramedic and fire stations
- 12welve Bistro donated food to frontline workers
- DMP Flowers and Gifts donated flowers to Durham Region Transit staff to brighten their day and say thank you
- Charminar Indian Cuisine Whitby prepared free meals for frontline workers
- The Creperie Spot is offering free meals to any family who has been affected by COVID-19, healthcare workers, police, firefighters, and other frontline workers
Visit: whitby.ca/coronavirus or the Contact Us page to access Town-wide contact info
Follow: @WhitbyEcDev on Twitter for up-to-date information