IN-PERSON EVENT CANCELLED DUE TO COVID-19
Whitby's aunnual Christmas in the Village and Whitby Tree Lighting in-person events have been cancelled for Winter 2020. As our community practices physical distancing and other safety precautions, we are exploring new options to deliver the Christmas spirit to our community.
Stay tuned for future updates on this event!
- Date and time:
Friday, November 27, 2020
6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
This event is free to attend.
Discover the magic of small-town Christmas traditions and fun activities in Grass Park.
- A countdown to lighting of the 40 foot tree in the centre of the park
- Holiday treats, hot chocolate and cookies
- Toy and food drive - in support of Salvation Army
- Old fashioned horse & wagon rides
- Take your own photo with Santa
- Fun photo opportunities
- Maple taffy
- Local holiday entertainment
- Community vendors with family activities and games
- Crafts and Carols at Brooklin United Church
- Carol singing from 7:30 - 8:30 p.m. in the Church Sanctuary
- Christmas Craft Sale - Friday 3:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. | Saturday 9:00 a.m - 2:00 p.m.
Accessing the Event
Road closures: Christmas in the Village is a pedestrian focused event, as such, section of Cassels Road East, Durham Street and Roebuck Street will be closed to through-traffic. Safety is of concern as event attendees are primarily families with children young children; this extension will assist with pedestrian safety.
The event runs from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m., however road closures will be in place before the event to allow for set-up.
2:00 p.m. - partial closure
- Cassels Road East (Baldwin Street to Princess Street)
- Roebuck Street (Baldwin to the Bryson Insurance Parking Lot - lot entrance will be open)
- Durham Street
4:00 - 9:00 p.m. - full closure
- Cassels Road East (Baldwin Street to Church Street)
- Roebuck Street - parking lot entrance closed - Baldwin Street access open
- Durham Street
Active Transportation and parking: Residents are encouraged to walk, bike or use other forms of active transportation to access Christmas in the Village.
Limited parking is available in the following lots:
- Downtown Brooklin municipal parking lot (3 Vipond Road)
- Brooklin Community Centre and Library (8 Vipond Road)
- Brooklin Memorial Park (access off St. Thomas Street)
On-street parking is available in Downtown Brooklin - please obey all parking signs and by-laws.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is this event accessible?
Yes. Christmas in the village is an outdoor event, taking place in Downtown Brooklin, and in and around Grass Park.
- Can I bring my dog?
Yes, dogs are welcome as long as they are on a leash, under control of their owner and owner's pick-up after them.
- Are there shuttle buses/transportation for the event?
No. Christmas in the Village is pedestrian focused and event goers are encouraged to use active transportation to access the event.
Thank You to Our 2019 Sponsors
Information about the many volunteer opportunities at all Town of Whitby events can be found on our Volunteers page.
Aspects of most Town of Whitby events are sponsored by local businesses and community organizations. To find out how your organization can contribute to Christmas in the Village please contact the Manager of Advertising and Sponsorship Sales by email or phone 905.430.4300 x7488.
Christmas in the Village is an annual celebration held on the fourth Friday in November.