If a building or home renovation project is in your plans, there are a number of things for you to consider before you begin your project. Some of these items include:
- Building permits and fees
- Design details
- Municipal by-laws
- Utility locates
This section of the website is designed to help you find the information you need to make your building or home renovation project a success.
Changes During COVID-19
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Building Division office at the Garden Street Branch is closed to public access and staff are working remotely. Some exceptions are in place to coordinate permit documents and provide inspection services. However, during this time, we are fully operational and arrangements can be made via mail, drop off and pick up of all types of permit applications.
To apply for a building permit please submit:
- Building Permit application
- Letter of authorization (if the building permit applicant is not the owner)
- Permit fees to be paid by cheque only to the Town of Whitby
- Commitments to review signed by the architect and or the engineers (if applicable)
- 2 copies of drawings are required to be submitted for all residential projects
- For all other types of projects, 3 complete sets of the drawings are required to be submitted. Each set will include architectural, structural, mechanical and electrical drawings.
Hard copies of the documents above with a cheque of the appropriate amount, made out to the Town of Whitby and required drawings can be mailed to:
Town of Whitby
Attn: Building Division
575 Rossland Road East
Whitby, ON L1N 2M8
Alternatively, there is an exterior drop box located at the above address at Town Hall, in which you may put the envelope in. The drop box is located at the east side of the building, at the roundabout driveway entrance. Town of Whitby offices are closed to public access at this time.
Please be advised that permit application may take longer to process, at this time due to staff working remotely. Please know that we are doing our best to accommodate during the pandemic.
If you have any questions please feel free to email us.
All questions regarding zoning information email our Planning Department.