Build an Accessory Structure



If you are planning to build a detached private garage, carport, storage/utility shed, playhouse, or other similar structure that is separate from your main dwelling, these types of structures fall under the category of "Accessory Structure."

Accessory structures are permitted by the Town of Whitby subject to the General Provisions sections of the Town's Zoning by-laws below:

Most accessory structures require a building permit. To determine whether your project requires a building permit, check the Building Permit Frequently Asked Questions or contact Building Services at 905.430.4305 or send an email.

Additional Resources