Animal Control



Barking Dogs Complaints

The Responsible Pet Ownership By-law regulates barking dog issues.  Excessive and continuous barking can be considered an offence and owners could be subject to a fine.

Contact Animal Services to file a noise complaint if the owner of the barking dog is not cooperative. We will visit the owner and provide education about the requirements of the by-law. Enforcement action may be taken if a barking problem persists.

Please note that in order for staff to properly investigate a barking dog concern, you must be able to see the dog in the act of barking.

When filing a noise complaint, have the following in mind:

  • location of barking dog
  • description of the barking dog
  • time of day the noise occurs
  • how often the noise occurs and length of time
  • how the noise directly affects you

It is recommended that barking dog issues be documented by the affected resident.  To assist residents with documenting barking dog concerns, Animal Services has created a Noise Disturbance Log.  Please use the link below to access a copy of the Noise Disturbance Log.

Whitby's Animal By-laws

Name of By-law Description

Animals - Responsible Pet Ownership (PDF, 254 kB)

A by-law setting standards for the keeping of cats and dogs and responsible pet ownership within the Town.

Animals - Prohibited and Regulated Animals (PDF, 588 kB)

A by-law to prohibit and regulate the keeping of various types of animals within the Town.

Filing a Complaint

Should you wish to file a complaint regarding a possible animal related by-law contravention, please contact Animal Services at 905.655.0283, send an email or complete the Animal Services Online Complaint Form

All complaints, including emails, must contain the complainant's name, address and phone number prior to a complaint being generated.  Please note that all personal information is kept confidential. 

Animal Services Appeal Committee

The Animal Services Appeal Committee is responsible for considering appeals in accordance with the procedures established under the provisions of the Statutory Powers Procedure Act. The Committee considers appeals to Orders to Restrain (muzzle/leash an animal) issued by Animal Services Officers.

The Committee is authorized by the Statutory Powers Procedure Act to do the following:

  • Hear appeals filed by appellants;
  • Execute all of the powers of an Animal Services Officer; and,
  • Confirm, modify, or rescind Orders to Restrain, or extend the time for complying with Orders to Restrain.

When an appeal has been received, the Committee shall give notice or direct that notice be given of the hearing to such persons as the Committee considers should receive notice.

Committee Members

Membership: 5 Citizen Appointments

  • Carleen Blissett
  • Jasmine Herzog-Evans
  • Kailey Langille
  • Wendy Nunn
  • Sean O'Dwyer

Meeting Dates, Agendas and Minutes

Go to CivicWeb Portal

The Town of Whitby is aware of the OSPCA’s decision to no longer enforce animal cruelty laws as of June 28, 2019.

The Town of Whitby Animal Services, operates a municipal shelter who’s primary objectives include the following:

  • Temporary housing of animals found running at large or found as a stray in Whitby and Ajax.

  • Facilitates a responsible pet ownership program which includes adopting out animals that are not claimed.

  • We also as a municipality enforce the Town of Whitby’s Animal Control By-law. Animal Services Officers do not have the authority nor training to deal with complaints of animal cruelty matters.

Animal cruelty matters should be addressed to the Province. 
Cruelty to any animal is not tolerated in Ontario. If you think an animal is in distress or is being abused, call 1-833-9-ANIMAL (264625)



Sick or Injured Wildlife

Whitby Animal Services staff are trained in dealing with sick or injured wildlife. If you encounter wildlife that is sick or injured, wildlife that poses a threat to humans or domestic animals, or wildlife that displays signs or symptoms of rabies, do not touch or handle the animal. Please call us. We provide around the clock emergency response for sick or injured wildlife.

Nuisance Wildlife

We do not provide trapping or relocation services for nuisance wildlife, however our trained staff can offer solutions that will help you address these situations. Wildlife-proof your home or business is the most effective way to deter nuisance wildlife. Trapping and relocating wildlife is only a temporary solution as others animals tend to relocate into the area.


Coyotes have adapted to urban areas and it is quite normal to see coyotes. Coyotes are generally shy animals that avoid confrontation. They are also opportunistic animals that are drawn to places where they can find food easily. If you encounter a coyote, do not turn your back or run away. Instead, remain calm and back away slowly. If you're out for a walk bring a whistle to frighten any approaching animal. Always walk your pets on a leash and keep cats inside. More information about coyotes can be obtained through the Ministry of Natural Resources.


The Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry is responsible for wildlife including bears; however Whitby's Animal Services Division may assist as necessary.

If you encounter a bear in your neighbourhood and are concerned about an imminent threat to public safety, call 9-1-1.  In a non-emergency situation, call the Province's Bear Wise reporting line at 1.866.514.2327 (between April 1 and November 30).  During other times of the year, The Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry District Office located in Aurora should be contacted at 905.713.7400.

Further information is available through the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry Bear Wise website [LINK].