All residents of the Town have the right to enjoy reasonable peace and quiet while at home. The Noise By-law is in place to protect residents from unreasonable or unnecessary noise.
What you should know
The Noise By-law is in effect at all times, and exemptions are not generally available. Exemptions may be granted for large-scale construction projects which are time sensitive (e.g. road repair, concrete pouring).
The by-law is actively enforced by the Durham Regional Police Service and by the Town's By-law Services.
A General Guide
The following list provides an overview of the noise regulations in place in the Town.
- The operation of speakers, whether in a residence or a vehicle, at such a volume that it is audible in another person's home is prohibited at all times
- Yelling, singing or shouting at a volume which is audible in another person's home is prohibited at all times
- Persistent barking, calling, howling, whining at frequent or lengthy intervals by a domestic pet is prohibited at all times
- The use of any instruments at such a volume that they are audible in another person's home is prohibited at all times
- Large-scale construction noise occurring after 8:00 PM in the evening or before 7:00 AM in the morning is prohibited
- Large-scale construction noise occurring on a Sunday or public holiday is prohibited
- Small-scale domestic construction noise occurring after 9:00 PM in ther evening or before 7:00 AM in the morning is prohibited
Still have questions?
If you have any questions regarding the Noise By-law, please contact By-law Services at 905.430.4345 or by email.
Filing a Complaint
To file a complaint regarding a possible by-law contravention, please contact By-law Services by email or complete the online complaint form below.
All complaints, including emails, must contain the complainant's name, address and phone number. Please note that all personal information about complaints is kept confidential.
When filing a noise complaint, please have the following information in mind:
- location of the noise source
- time of day the noise occurs
- how often the noise occurs and length of time
- how the noise directly affects you
It is recommended that noise concerns be documented by the affected resident. To assist residents with documenting noise concerns, By-law Services has created a Noise Disturbance Log. Please use the link below to access a copy of the Noise Disturbance Log.
Please note that By-law Services staff work between the hours of 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM, Monday through Friday. For a response to an active noise complaint outside of these hours, please contact the Durham Regional Police Service at 905.579.1520.
Barking Dog Complaints
For complaints related to barking dogs, please visit the Animal Control section of the By-law Guide and direct any enquiries to the Animal Services Division.