Driveway Widening and Curb Cuts




Widening your driveway may become necessary to accommodate all of your vehicles.  You can widen your driveway on your own property subject to specific conditions in the Town's zoning by-laws, but widening any portion of the municipal boulevard requires a permit and curb cut.

What you should know...

When widening your driveway, it is important to consider the requirements of the Road Occupancy and Municipal Access By-law.

The Road Occupancy and Municipal Access By-law regulates any changes made to the curb in front of your property.  The boulevard in front of your property is owned by the Town, and as such, approvals are required prior to making any changes to this piece of land.  The boulevard is the thin strip of land which runs parallel to the street and is usually between five and six meters in width.

In addition to the above, thought should be given to where people will enter or exit vehicles and where ice and snow will be placed so as not to impact neighbouring properties.


Curb Cut Application and fees

Still have questions?

If you have any further questions or concerns regarding driveway widening or curb cuts, please contact Engineering Services at 905.430.4307 or Open new window to send an email to Engineering.

Filing a Complaint

To file a complaint regarding a possible by-law contravention, please contact By-law Services by email or complete the online complaint form below.

All complaints, including emails, must contain the complainant's name, address and phone number. Please note that all personal information about complaints is kept confidential.