The portion of your property nearest the street is municipal property and is known as a boulevard.
This area is the entrance point for many municipal services onto your lot and is strictly regulated as it may need to be accessed at any time to repair or improve services.
What you should know?
It is the property owner's responsibility to maintain the municipal boulevard including mowing grass on the boulevard.
The Town regulates the types of plantings you may add to the boulevard and prohibits certain installations or add-ons that might create a hazard.
Any requests for the Town to maintain or remove trees planted by or on behalf of the Town can be directed to Operational Services at 905.668.3437 or by email Open new window to send an email to Operations Whitby.
A General Guide
- grass and weeds can not exceed 15 centimetres in length
- no plantings are permitted over a sidewalk or within 2 metres of the curb or the edge of the road or within a 1 metre radius of a fire hydrant
- no plantings shall exceed 0.9 metres above the grade of the boulevard
- no plantings are permitted in a location which causes a traffic safety issue or in a location which impedes or blocks a sidewalk
- no rocks, bricks, concrete slabs or anything protruding, sharp or dangerous is permitted on a boulevard
- no light fixtures, pillars, signage or similar objects are permitted on a boulevard
- no fences are to be erected on a boulevard
- no person shall alter a boulevard by adding or maintaining any hard surface material (such as a widened driveway) without prior approval from the Town
Still have questions?
If you have any questions regarding boulevard regulations, please contact By-law Services at 905.430.4345 or by email.
Filing a Complaint
To file a complaint regarding a possible by-law contravention, please contact By-law Services by email or complete the online complaint form below.
All complaints, including emails, must contain the complainant's name, address and phone number. Please note that all personal information about complaints is kept confidential.