All accessory buildings and structures are regulated under the Town's Zoning By-laws, and may be subject to Building Code requirements.
The Zoning By-laws set out minimum setback requirements for sheds, garages, decks and other types of structures. In addition, the Zoning By-laws set maximums for how much of a lot can be covered by structures and they also regulate the maximum height of a structure.
What you should know...
An accessory structure may be anything which is detached from the main building on the property and can include structures such as sheds, detached garages, gazebos and pool houses.
A General Guide
- Any structure which is greater than 10 square metres in size requires a Building Permit prior to construction
- Any structure which is less than 10 square metres may be constructed without a building permit, but must still comply with the provisions of the Town's Zoning By-laws
- Generally, accessory structures in residential zones are subject to a maximum height restriction of 4.5 metres
- Accessory structures in residential zones are only permitted to be constructed in side yards or rear yards
- Generally, accessory structures must be located a minimum of 0.6 metres from all neighbouring property lines, however the eaves and roof overhang may encroach into the setback a maximum of 0.3 metres
- Accessory structures constructed with windows which face neighbouring properties or streets are subject to additional setback requirements and should be reviewed by Building Services prior to construction
- Accessory structures are required to comply with lot coverage maximums contained in the Accessory Structure By-law, in addition, accessory structures must comply with the provisions of the property specific parent Zoning By-law; for more information, please contact Building Services
- Human habitation and business uses are not permitted in any accessory building or structure
Please also see the following webpage:
Still have questions?
Should you have any further questions or concerns regarding accessory buildings or structures, please contact the Town's Building Services at 905.430.4305 or by e-mail Open new window to send an email to Building Services .