The Ethno-cultural and Diversity Advisory Committee will be responsible for the following:
- Provide input to the Mayor and Members of Council of the Town of Whitby on the elimination of barriers for the diverse population of our community
- Foster a greater understanding of ethno-cultural and diversity issues and matters within the Town of Whitby through community partnerships
- Take the necessary steps to involve diverse groups in the activities of the Committee
- Provide input to staff in the development of policies to promote awareness of ethno-cultural relations and diversity matters
- Provide input in the development of a public engagement strategy for the residents of Whitby for the purpose of ensuring discussion and public feedback on current ethno-cultural and diversity issues
- Provide consultation, research and report findings and make recommendations as necessary on matters of diversity, inclusivity and equity within the Town of Whitby
- The Ethno-cultural and Diversity Advisory Committee is participating in or hosting the following events:
The Ethno-cultural and Diversity Advisory Committee is hosting a Culture in the Square series Tuesday evenings in June to celebrate our diversity and Canada's 150th birthday. Be sure to enjoy this free and interactive cultural entertainment.
Diversity Forum: Gender identity and gender expression - How to be an ally
The Ethno-cultural and Diversity Advisory Committee is hosting a Diversity Forum on Gender Identity and Expression. Come and learn from our panelists about their lived experience, their challenges and successes. Panelists will share from their area of expertise on legal protection, community supports, the role of the school and how you can be an ally. Pre-registration is recommended.
Date: Thursday, October 19 from 7:00-9:00 p.m.
Location: Whitby Central Library
Meeting Dates, Minutes and Agendas
The Ethno-cultural and Diversity Advisory Committee meets the first Thursday of the month at 7:15 p.m. Please note that the Committee will be meeting on the second Thursday in May and does not meet in July or August.
Membership: 1 Member of Council, 7 Citizen Appointments
- Councillor Steve Yamada
- Sarah Klein (Staff Liaison)
- Mayline Brown
- Aldith Carasquero (Chair)
- Cheryl Frayne
- Jessie Huang
- Punita Lumb
- Sharmila Saigaonkar
- Renee Sgroi (Vice-chair)
Social Media Campaign Support
The Town of Whitby's Ethno-cultural and Diversity Advisory Committee (EDAC) strives to foster a greater understanding of ethno-cultural and diversity issues and matters within the Town of Whitby through community partnerships. As community partners, EDAC invites your organization to submit one special event or cultural celebration per year to promote through the Town of Whitby's social media channels in an effort to help promote your organization. Please keep in mind that we cannot promote events or celebrations if the intent of the event and/or organization is contrary to corporate policies, by-laws, the Ontario Human Rights Code or current legislation.
EDAC Social Media Request Form
Documents and Resources
2017 Work Plan
2017 Region of Durham Diversity Calendar
2017 Multicultural Calendar
Inclusive Language Guide
Terms of Reference
Region of Durham Community Trends 2008
Durham Immigration Portal
Diversity Highlights - Whitby