Building a healthy downtown through community improvement
Financial Analysis Report
The Town of Whitby retained Hemson Consulting Ltd. to undertake a Financial Analysis on the Downtown Whtby CIP. A copy of Hemon's report along with the Planning and Development Committee report to the November 27, 2017 meeting are available here:
Finanical Analysis Report
- Draft contents of CIP and By-laws
- Distribute Draft CIP to stakeholders
- Hold Statutory Public Meeting
About the Plan:
A Community Improvement Plan (CIP) provides financial incentives to encourage development and improvements to a specified area within a municipality. The improvements can range from streetscape enhancements, brownfield remediation, building improvements and a change in development form. Currently the Town of Whitby has an approved CIP for Downtown Whitby that offers two programs for commercial business and property owners:
- Facade Improvement Grant Program which offers downtown commercial business and property owners a grant up to 50% of the costs to a maximum of $5,000 to encourage restoration of historic and significant architectural features of buildings and to stimulate investment in the area.
- Design Assistance Grant Program which offers a grant up to 50% of the costs to a maximum of $1,500 to help with the cost of professional design fees that can be incurred with a project.
For more information on these existing programs please visit our Facade Improvement Grant Program:
The municipality is undertaking a review of the Downtown Whitby Community Improvement Plan (CIP) to consider other types of financial incentive and investment programs that could be developed to spur economic activity in Downtown Whitby.
Past Public Meetings:
An introductory public meeting was held on December 6, 2016 to provide information on the additional types of programs for consideration.
A second public information meeting, held on May 24, 2017 was held to outline possible incentive programs under consideration and some suggested criteria for each program.