By-law Services



Services We Provide

By-law Services is responsible for providing education and enforcing a variety of regulatory and licensing by-laws.  By-law Services issues permits for pool enclosures and mobile signs and registers accessory apartments.

The Town employs a staff of Municipal Law Enforcement Officers who gain compliance with municipal by-laws by providing information and education to residents and business owners, and if required, through enforcement.

Information about Town By-laws

For more information on the standards and regulations in place in the Town, please visit the By-law Guide.

By-law Guide for Residents

For a simple guide about the most common Town by-laws that relate to properties and maintenance, please view the By-law Guide for Residents (PDF, 2,117 kB).

Common Concerns

Below, please find links which will direct you to more information about the most common by-law enforcement concerns:


By-law Services is responsible for issuing permits for pool enclosures, mobile signs and accessory apartments.  For more information about any of these permits, please use the links below:

Report a Concern

To file a complaint regarding a possible by-law contravention, please contact By-law Services by email or complete the online complaint form below.

All complaints, including emails, must contain the complainant's name, address and phone number.  Please note that all personal information about complaints is kept confidential.

Vehicle Parking Concerns

For complaints regarding vehicle parking, please contact Parking Services at 905.430.4300 ext. 2292, send an email or complete the form below:

Complaint and Investigation Process

By-law Services receives approximately 2,000 complaints each year.  Once a complaint has been filed it is sent to a Municipal Law Enforcement Officer to inspect.  After the initial inspection, the officer will determine if there is a by-law violation.  If no violation is found, the file will be closed and no further action will be taken.  If a violation is found, the officer will follow divisional procedures and practices to gain compliance.

For an update about a particular matter, please contact By-law Services at 905.430.4345, Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m or email

Links and Resources