If you would like to appear before Council or a Standing Committee, you must:
- Complete and submit a Delegation Request Form (PDF, 257 kB) to the Town Clerk
- Include the date of the meeting you wish to appear before
- Clearly state the topic on the agenda that you wish to speak to
- Include a copy of your presentation if available (and any background information)
- Include your name (printed clearly) and complete contact information (address and telephone number where you can be reached)
- Persons wishing to address Council must first appear before the appropriate Standing Committee that deals with the issue.
- Written submissions are not required to speak to the Planning and Development Committee during a Public Meeting held under the Planning Act.
Rules regarding delegations are provided on the second page of the Delegation Request Form. (PDF, 257 kB)
Deadline for Submissions: 12 noon on the Wednesday before the Committee meeting date.
A staff member from the Office of the Town Clerk will contact you to confirm the meeting date and details of your appearance.
- In person: Whitby Town Hall, 575 Rossland Road E.
- By mail: Office of the Town Clerk
Whitby Town Hall
575 Rossland Road E.
Whitby, ON L1N 2M8
- Fax: 905.686.7005
Use of Personal Information
Your personal information will be used for the purposes of sending correspondence relating to matters before Council. Your name, address, comments, and any other personal information is collected and maintained for the purpose of creating a record that is available to the general public in a hard copy format and on the Internet in an electronic format pursuant to Section 27 of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, R.S.O. 1990, c.M.56 as amended. Questions about this collection should be directed to the Office of the Town Clerk, Town of Whitby, 575 Rossland Road East, Whitby, ON L1N 2M8.
Frequently Asked Questions
What do I do prior to the meeting?
Confirm with the Office of the Town Clerk that you are scheduled for the correct meeting date and a time has been established for your appearance before Committee/Council. Advise the Office of the Town Clerk office of any audio visual requirements at the time of confirmation. Staff will be happy to assist if able.
Provide a copy of the presentation in advance to the Office of the Town Clerk if one has been prepared.
What do I do when I arrive at the meeting?
Arrive at least 15 minutes before your scheduled presentation time. If there are several presentations in one meeting and your scheduled time is delayed, your patience is requested. When it is your turn, the Chair will announce the item number/your name and ask you to step forward to begin your presentation.
When it is your turn to address Committee/Council members, step up to the deputant's table and be seated. Be sure to speak directly into the microphone on the table so that all Committee/Council members and the audience can hear you.
How do I address the Committee/Council members?
When addressing Committee or Council members, regardless of where the question came from you should always address your comments to the Chair. This helps maintain order in the meeting. During a Council meeting the Mayor is always the Chair and is addressed as Mayor Perkins, Madam Mayor , or Your Worship. During Committee meetings, various Council members other than the Mayor act as the Chair and should be addressed as Mr. Chair or Madam Chair, as appropriate.
How long may I speak?
The Town's Procedural By-law allows individuals up to ten minutes to address Committee and/or Council members unless otherwise provided by a majority vote of the members present. Questions and discussion may follow and are not part of the ten -minute allocation.
What happens after I speak?
After you have addressed the Committee or Council, the Chair of the meeting will ask Members of Council or Committee if anyone has questions for you as the delegate. Once you have answered the questions, please return to your seat. Once all of the delegations on a matter have been heard, Members of Council or Committee will debate the issue and make the decision.
What is the Code of Conduct for Delegations/Presentations?
Delegations/presentations shall not:
- speak disrespectfully of any person
- use offensive words
- speak on any subject other than the subject for which they have received approval to address Council/Committee
- disobey the decision of the Mayor/Chair or Council/Committee
- enter into cross debate with other delegates/presenters, Town staff, Council/Committee members or the Mayor/Chair