Please check back regularly as information on this page is updated on an ongoing basis.
In the June North Ward One By-election, the Town of Whitby is introducing internet and telephone voting for residents of the North Ward.
Internet and telephone voting allows Whitby residents to cast their vote from anywhere, even the comfort of their own home, as long as they have an internet connection and/or access to a telephone.
Options to cast your vote include:
- Desktop or Laptop Computer
- Smart phone (mobile device)
- Tablet device
- Touchtone phone
Eligible voters in North Ward One will be able to cast their vote using internet or telephone starting at 10:00 a.m. on June 9, 2016 up to June 16, 2016 at 8:00 p.m.
Before voting via internet or telephone, you must ensure the following:
- You have received your confidential Voter Information Package in the mail;
- Your information is accurate on the Voter's List, including your Year of Birth;
- You have at least one piece of acceptable ID; and
- You have access to the internet or a telephone.
Voter Information Packages
Starting in early June, eligible voters will begin receiving Voter Information Packages (VIPs) in the mail.
This package is important because it contains:
- Instructions on how to vote;
- Your confidential Voter ID and PIN;
- The secure website address for accessing internet voting;
- The telephone number for accessing telephone voting;
- A list of candidates registered in the by-election;
- Dates and Hours of the Voting Period;
- The telephone number for the Voter Help Line; and
- Voter Assistance Centre Information.
Once you have received your VIP, you will then be able to vote at any time during the Voting Period (June 9 from 10:00 a.m. to June 16 until 8:00 p.m.)
by using your:
- Voter ID
- Year of Birth
You can also vote by telephone and follow the instructions provided.
What if I did not receive my Voter Information Package or my information is incorrect?
If you do not receive your VIP in the mail by June 10, 2016, contact the Voter Help-Line at 1-866-594-0010
Alternatively, you can go to any of the following locations to fill out an Application to Amend the Voters' List (EL15 form) and receive your VIP.
- Town Hall, 575 Rossland Road E., between May 3, 2016 and June 16, 2016, during normal business hours of 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- Brooklin Community Centre and Library, 8 Vipond Road, between June 9 - 13 from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. and from June 14 - 16 from 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- McKinney Centre, 222 McKinney Drive, between June 14 - 16 from 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Voter Assistance Centres
If you require additional assistance in order to cast your vote, you can visit one of two Voter Assistance Centres that will be available in the North Ward during the Voting Period. Please ensure that you bring acceptable ID that shows your full name and qualifying address.
Voter Assistance Centre Locations
- Brooklin Community Centre and Library, 8 Vipond Road
- June 9 - 13: 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- June 14 - 16: 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- McKinney Centre, 222 McKinney Drive
- June 14 - 16: 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Please remember the voting period is open for a full 8 days from June 9, 2016 to June 16, 2016 to provide electors the opportunity to vote.
Internet Voting Survey
The Town of Whitby has partnered with Dr. Nicole Goodman Ph.D., Director at the Centre for e-Democracy, to create an Internet Voting survey to help us understand the effects of Internet voting on our elections. Upon casting your vote through the Internet voting system, you will be given the option to participate in an anonymous survey about your online voting experience and provide your feedback.
This confidential survey is in no way connected to your vote.
Your participation in this survey is voluntary and you will not be contacted for further research or other purposes if you take part. You may stop participating at any time.
If you have any questions or concerns about your participation in the survey please contact the Office of the Town Clerk at 905.430.4315 or email@example.com