Whitby In Bloom (WIB) is a civic beautification program that promotes environmental responsibility and civic pride. It is based on the international Communities in Bloom program. The success of our program is attributed to the dedicated efforts of volunteers and the participation of Whitby residents.
Learn more about:
Rain Barrel Fundraiser
Order a Whitby In Bloom Rain Barrel at rainbarrel.ca/brooklin for $55 and support the Whitby Salvation Army Food Bank while improving your garden. Rain barrel kit includes: leaf and mosquito filter, spigot and overflow hose.
Rain barrels must be pre-ordered online by May 20 and picked up on May 27 between 9:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. at Grass Park (19 Cassels Road, Brooklin).
5 Reasons to Buy a Whitby in Bloom Rain Barrel
- They help reduce water waste
- Rain water is better for your plants
- Collecting rain water helps prevent flooding
- You'll save money on your water bill
- All proceeds go to charity!
Whitby In Bloom Garden Tour
Saturday, July 15, 2017 from 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Visit one or all of the properties that will be on the 2017 WIB Garden Tour. Tour sites will be in Whitby and Brooklin with each garden being unique, varying in size, structure and plant material. In lieu of a fee, non perishable food items will be collected for local food banks. Drop off your donation at one of the tour sites on July 15. Online registration for the tour will begin soon.
2017 Garden Tour Brochure and Map will be made available in June.
Free Gardening Seminars
April 26 - "New & Easy Care Perennials for 2017"
May 24 - "Gardening from a Hammock"
Whitby In Bloom Garden Seminars are offered in partnership with Brooklin Horticultural Society at Brooklin United Church. In lieu of a fee, non-perishable food items are collected and donated to local food banks.
Reserve your spot at the 2017 Gardening Seminars
Durham Master Gardeners Workshop
The Whitby Sustainability Advisory Committee in partnership with the Whitby Public Library invites you to free gardening workshops delivered by Durham Master Gardeners. Watch for upcoming seminars in 2017.
Earth Week - Whitby In Bloom School Program
Local School Boards are encouraged to become involved by having students participate in school yard and adjacent park clean-ups. This program, initiated through Whitby in Bloom, has successfully had schools participate with a total of 25 schools participating in 2016. Schools are not limited to clean-ups and may participate in other activities such as litter-less lunch, school material recycling or book/toy swaps. Schools participating in the program are recognized with Earth Day Certificates.
Town of Whitby Wins Communities in Bloom Awards!
- 2016 - National Participant - non evaluated
- 2015 - National Participant - non evaluated
- 2014 - National Edition Winner - 5 Bloom Award recipient and recognition for: Preservation and Relocation of the Circa 1812 Lynde House
- 2013 - 5 Bloom Award - National Edition - Recognition for Blue and green infrastructure
- 2012 - Membership Program - Provincial Edition
- 2011 - Membership Program - Provincial Edition
- 2010 - 5 Bloom Award - National Edition - Outstanding Achievement Award-Environmental Action presented by Waste Management
- 2009 - Circle of Excellence - National Edition
- 2008 - Friends Program - National Edition
- 2007 - 5 Bloom Award - National Edition - Criteria Award - Landscaped Areas presented by Canadian Nursery Landscape Association
- 2006 - 5 Bloom Award - Provincial Edition - Special Mention Living Fences
- 2005 - 4 Bloom Award - Provincial Edition
Communities in Bloom Program
The Towns Whitby In Bloom Committee has created programs and activities based on the international CiB Program. Municipalities can enter one of several CiB programs annually. In 2017 the Town of Whitby will register for the National non evaluated program. Municipalities who participate in the evaluated category of the CiB program must create a Community Guide Book. This book provides all the information that the judges are looking for and is a wonderful reference for residents. To learn more about Communities in Bloom click here.
Volunteer with Whitby In Bloom!
Participating in Whitby In Bloom instills civic pride, offers visible benefits to the larger community through beautification projects, and raises the profile of Whitby in the eyes of visitors. You can become involved by volunteering with the Whitby In Bloom Committee. Complete our volunteer application form to get started.
Keep Blooming Whitby!
Share your photos and garden stories by tagging us on Twitter or Facebook @Townof Whitby. We look forward to hearing from you and sharing your updates!