The Town of Whitby has prescribed Property Standards for the maintenance and occupancy of property within the Town of Whitby. All property owners are required to repair and maintain their properties in compliance with the minimum maintenance standards included in the Property Standards By-law and the Cleaning and Clearing of Lands By-law.
A General Guide
The following list provides an overview of the Property Standards regulations in place in the Town:
- Grass and weeds are required to be maintained at a height of less than 15 centimetres
- Properties are required to be maintained free of accumulations of garbage, refuse or debris
- Buildings are to be maintained in a good condition, including the maintenance of roofs, windows, doors and eaves troughs
- Sheds and detached garages are to be maintained in good condition
- Rental properties are to be provided with working plumbing, heating and electrical services
Still have questions?
If you have any questions regarding the Town's Property Standards regulations, please contact the By-law Services Division at 905.430.4345 or by email.
Filing a Complaint
Should you wish to file a complaint regarding a possible by-law contravention, please contact the By-law Services Division at 905.430.4345, send an email or complete the online complaint form below.
All complaints, including emails, must contain the complainant's name, address and phone number prior to a complaint being generated. Please note that all personal information about complaints is kept in the strictest of confidence.