There are many ways for residents and visitors to experience Whitby's natural environment.
The Town maintains 125 parks with 950 acres of active parkland, over 1000 acres of passive open space, and approximately 60 kilometres of trails. Beaches, gazebos and picnic areas are wonderful places to relax and enjoy your leisure time.
Skateboard parks, splash pads, sports fields and tennis courts will help keep you active while enjoying the outdoors.
Park Planning and Maintenance
The Town's Community and Marketing Services Department facilitates recreation opportunities, partnerships and public relations initiatives while Parks Maintenance ensures the care and maintenance of surrounding forests, horticulture/turf, and park grounds. Activities include:
A few basic courtesies ensure that everyone enjoys Whitby's parks, pathways, and recreational facilities:
- Please walk on the provided trails or grass. Do not disturb wildlife.
- Do not remove or deface trees, shrubs, flowers, grass or rocks.
- Supervise children at all times, especially near water or playground equipment.
- Please keep your dog on a leash at all times and remember to stoop and scoop.
- Help keep Whitby's parks beautiful. Call 905.668.3437 to report any damage, vandalism or maintenance concerns.
For more information, you can read the Town's Parks By-law
All Town-operated parks are open April 1 to September 30 from 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.except lit sports fields and courts which are open until 11:30 from April 1 to September 30. From October 1 to March 31 parks are open 6:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.