Heritage Day is the largest one-day event held in historic downtown Whitby. The event promotes and preserves the Town's historic, architectural, natural and scenic heritage. Heritage Day brings together residents, visitors, and merchants to experience a taste of Whitby's past, present and future.
- Date and time:
Saturday, September 30, 2017
10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Downtown Whitby, 201 Brock St. S
This event is free to attend.
- Discover some of the architectural treasures in our neighbourhoods, and enjoy a wide range of re-enactments and activities that bring to life local history and culture.
- Visit the Vintage Whitby Booth for the launch of Talking Historical Plaques. This new technology makes history comes alive. Don't forget to pick up a quiz at the Downtown Steering Committee Booth for your chance to win a prize!
- Sample culinary delicacies at local restaurants and community BBQs.
- Farmers' Market vendors trim the streets with their wide array of sweets, fall vegetables and decorations.
- Local musicians provide entertainment throughout the day.
- Petting zoo, pony rides, face painting, games, balloons, horse and wagon rides.
- Crafts, heritage displays and demonstrations ensure visitors of all ages enjoy the festivities and discover the Town's historical roots.
- Culture Days activities such as: old fashioned dinner triangle making, corn husk doll making, ice cream making, spinning demonstrations, interactive hand drumming, history comes alive plaque tour.
Accessing the Event
Road closures: Harvest Festival is a pedestrian focused event. To provide safe, accessible aisles for pedestrian traffic the following roads will be closed from 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. on Saturday, September 30:
- Brock Street (Mary Street - Dunlop Street)
- Colborne Street (Byron Street - Green Street)
- Bryon Street (Dundas Street - Dunlop Street)
- Elm Street
- Dundas Street remains open
Driving: Please follow detours for your convenience around Downtown.
Parking: Parking is available in several lots throughout Downtown Whitby. Residents are encouraged to use active transportation to access this event.
Active Transportation: Residents are encouraged to walk, bike or use other forms of active transportation to access Whitby Heritage day. This event includes road closures and its pedestrian focused.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is this event accessible?
Yes. Heritage Day is an outdoor event, taking place on the streets of Downtown Whitby.
- Can I bring my dog?
Yes, dogs are welcome as long as they are on a leash, under control of their owner and owner's pick-up after them.
- Are there shuttle buses/transportation for the event?
No. Heritage Day is pedestrian focused and event goers are encouraged to use active transportation to access the event.
- Volunteer Opportunities
Information about the many volunteer opportunities at all Town of Whitby events can be found on our Volunteers page.
- Sponsorship Opportunities
Aspects of most Town of Whitby events are sponsored by local businesses and community organizations. To find out how your organization can contribute to Heritage Day please contact the Sustainability, Heritage, Downtowns and Community Development office by email or phone 905.430.4306.
- Special Thanks
The Town would like to thank all of our 2016 Whitby Heritage Day sponsors for their generous contributions.
Sustainability, Heritage, Downtowns and Community Development office by email or phone 905.430.4306.