Fences should be well constructed and maintained.
The standards set out for swimming pool enclosures are intended to prevent the entry of small children and the general public when the pool is not supervised.
What you should know...
The Fence By-law outlines maximum fence heights and minimum standards for swimming pool enclosures.
A General Guide
Key components of the Fence By-law include:
- the maximum fence height for a rear or side yard is 2 metres (6'6")
- the maximum fence height for a front yard fence is 1 metre (3'3")
- privacy screens are permitted in side or rear yards only. The setback requirement is 2 metres (6'6") from any property line. The maximum height of a privacy screen is 4.5 metres (14'7")
- fences must be maintained in a state of good repair and free from graffiti
- Town-owned fences are exempt from the provisions of the Fence By-law and may exceed the maximum height if they were constructed for noise mitigation
- the maximum height for a rear or side yard hedge is 3 metres (9'9")
- the maximum height for a front yard hedge is 1 metre (3'3")
Still have questions?
If you have any questions regarding the Fence By-law, please contact By-law Services at 905.430.4345 or by email.
If you have any questions regarding a Town-owned fence, please contact Operational Services at 905.668.3437 or Open new window to send an email to Operations Whitby.
Filing a Complaint
To file a complaint regarding a possible by-law contravention, please contact By-law Services by email or complete the online complaint form below.
All complaints, including emails, must contain the complainant's name, address and phone number. Please note that all personal information about complaints is kept confidential.